Jerome Klapka Jerome
2 of 32 portraits of Jerome Klapka Jerome
Jerome Klapka Jerome
by Philip Alexius de László
oil on canvas, 1921
36 in. x 28 in. (914 mm x 711 mm)
Bequeathed by the sitter's widow, Georgina Elizabeth Henrietta Stanley Jerome (née Marris), 1966
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Philip Alexius de László (1869-1937), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 19 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 337
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 109
Events of 1921back to top
Current affairsMarie Stopes, campaigner for women's rights and pioneer of family planning, opens her first clinic in London, offering a free service to married women. While Stopes's forthright and open-minded attitudes have helped to change opinion about family planning and sex, her opinions on eugenics have been criticised and are now out-of-step with current thinking.
Art and scienceBritish-born star of Hollywood Charlie Chaplin visits London where he is greeted by thousands. In 1921 Chaplain made his film, The Kid, which told the story of a tramp who finds an abandoned baby in an alley and decides to look after him. The portrayal of poverty in the film drew on Chaplain's own experiences of growing up in a working class family in London.
InternationalThe Anglo-Irish Treaty partitions Ireland into the Irish Free State (later the Republic of Ireland) and Northern Ireland. The Irish Free State was granted independence, while six of the Northern counties of Ulster decided to remain part of Britain. The treaty came into effect in 1922.
- Letter from Alfred Moss - 14 April 1931
- Letter from Alfred Moss - 20 April 1931
- Letter from de László to Alfred Moss - 27th April 1931
- Collected Archives - C-D
- Correspondence and Papers of Philip de László
- Learn more about Philip de László
- Guide to the correspondence and papers of Philip de László
- Online index and preliminary list
- Other archive material relating to Philip de László in the National Portrait Gallery
- Other sources of information about Philip de László
- Selected letters of Philip de László
- Artist - Laszlo
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits