1 of 101 portraits of Augustus John
by Sir William Newenham Montague Orpen
oil on canvas, exhibited 1900
39 in. x 37 in. (991 mm x 940 mm)
Given by the Art Fund, 1962
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Augustus Edwin John (1878-1961), Painter. Sitter in 101 portraits, Artist associated with 33 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir William Newenham Montague Orpen (1878-1931), Painter, Royal Acadamian. Artist associated with 29 portraits, Sitter in 28 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Orpen and John met while studying at the Slade and became constant companions. Fifty years later John criticised this portrait for not conveying 'the shy, dreamy and reticent character of its model'. It is in fact one of Orpen's finest early portraits of a young artist whose behaviour was often far from 'reticent'.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Bakewell, Michael, Character Sketches: Fitzrovia: London's Bohemia, 1999, p. 18
- Funnell, Peter (introduction); Marsh, Jan, A Guide to Victorian and Edwardian Portraits, 2011, p. 18
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 338
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 177
See this portrait
On display in Room 29 at the National Portrait Gallery