6 of 86 portraits of Augustus John
by Sir Jacob Epstein
bronze bust, 1916
14 in. (356 mm) high
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Augustus Edwin John (1878-1961), Painter. Sitter associated with 86 portraits, Artist associated with 32 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Jacob Epstein (1880-1959), Sculptor. Artist of 14 portraits, Sitter associated with 66 portraits.
This portraitback to top
A rare cast of Epstein's 1916 bust. Epstein was the leading modernist sculptor of his day and a founder member of the London Group, which was founded in 1913 from the amalgamation of the Fitzroy Street Group and the Camden Town Group. Epstein said of this portrait: 'I wanted to capture a certain wildness, an untamed quality that is the essence of the man '.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 339
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Camden Town Group and beyond (27 November 2010 - 31 August 2011)
Exhibitions and displays
- Jacob Epstein: Portrait Sculptor
Until 24 November
See this portrait
On display in Room 33 at the National Portrait Gallery