4 of 50 portraits of Samuel Johnson
by James Barry
oil on canvas, circa 1778-1780
23 7/8 in. x 20 7/8 in. (606 mm x 530 mm) oval
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), Poet, critic and lexicographer. Sitter associated with 50 portraits.
Artistback to top
- James Barry (1741-1806), Painter. Artist associated with 10 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
This portraitback to top
A study for James Barry's mural painting The Distribution of Premiums in the Society of Arts, marking the occasion on which the Society gave out awards for achievement in the arts, manufactures and commerce. Referred to by the artist as 'that venerable sage', Johnson is pictured in the finished work with other members of the Society.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cooper, John, Great Britons: The Great Debate, 2002, p. 20
- Eger, Elizabeth; Peltz, Lucy, Brilliant Women: 18th Century Bluestockings, 2008 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 13 March to 15 June 2008), p. 28
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 291
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 340
- Uglow, Jenny, Character Sketches: Dr Johnson, His Club and Other Friends, 1998, p. 17