by Domenico Brucciani, after William Cumberland Cruikshank, and James Hoskins
plaster cast of bust, 1878, based on a work of 1784
25 1/2 in. (648 mm) high
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), Poet, critic and lexicographer. Sitter associated with 50 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 293
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 340
Events of 1784back to top
Current affairsTheatre proprietor and postal reformer John Palmer runs the first mail coach in England, between Bristol and London. A three day journey is now completed in 16 hours. Commutation Act reduces punitive duties on tea to combat smuggling.
Art and scienceAeronaut James Sadler makes the first hot air balloon flight in Britain, from Oxford to Woodeaton.Chemist Henry Cavendish's paper Experiments on Air reveals the composition of water.Writer Samuel Johnson dies.Joshua Reynolds succeeds Allan Ramsay as Painter to the King.
InternationalThomas Jefferson's Land Ordinance passed by the United States' Continental Congress, coming into effect the following year. It allows for the sale of land in the largely unmapped west of the country. Britain receives its first bales of cotton from the United States since before the War of American Independence. William Pitt's India Act creates a Board of Control to oversee the affairs of the British East India Company and centralise power.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July
- Gallery Tour: London History Day
31 May, 15:00