1 portrait on display in Room 17 at the National Portrait Gallery
by John Hoppner
oil on canvas, exhibited 1791
29 1/2 in. x 24 1/2 in. (749 mm x 622 mm)
Lent by Tate Gallery, 1979
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Dorothea Jordan (Phillips, née Bland) (1761-1816), Actress. Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
Artistback to top
- John Hoppner (1758-1810), Painter. Artist associated with 213 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This portrait shows her in one of her most popular 'breeches' roles in Cibber's She Would and She Would Not, where she dresses as a young soldier to follow her lover to Madrid.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Cullen, Fintan, The Irish Face: Redefining the Irish Portrait, 2004, p. 115
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 66
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 12
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 343
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons (20 October 2011 - 8 January 2012)