3 of 26 portraits of Edmund Kean
by Thomas Charles Wageman
8 1/4 in. x 5 3/4 in. (210 mm x 146 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Thomas Charles Wageman (1787-1863), Painter, printmaker and draughtsman. Artist associated with 262 portraits, Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 345
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 286
Events of 1827back to top
Current affairsLord Liverpool suffers a stroke and is forced to resign as Prime Minister. George Canning succeeds him only to die after four months in office.
Art and scienceUniversity College London, the first metropolitan university in England, is founded specifically to educate dissenters excluded from Oxford and Cambridge. Whig politician Henry Brougham, writer Thomas Campbell and financier and philanthropist Isaac Goldsmid are its principal patrons.
InternationalBritain, France and Russia sign a treaty in London agreeing to intervene in the Greek War of Independence. Allied troops under General Edward Codrington subsequently destroy Turkish and Egyptian fleets at the Battle of Navarino.Western Australia is explored for the first time by Captain Stirling.
Exhibitions and displays
- Reproducing Fame: Printmakers and the Nineteenth Century Stage
Until 2 July 2017
- Lunchtime Lecture: Witnessing Spectacle, Reproducing Fame
16 February 2017, 13:15