© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Benjamin Robert Haydon Click on the links below to find out more
plaster cast of life-mask, 1816
9 1/4 in. (235 mm) high
Given by Miss Charlotte Reynolds, 1883
- John Keats (1795-1821), Poet. Sitter in 15 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Benjamin Robert Haydon (1786-1846), History painter and diarist. Artist associated with 34 portraits, Sitter in 10 portraits.
This cast is one of a number made for Keats's close friends; it belonged to the poet John Hamilton Reynolds. Another cast was described by Keats's sister as a perfect copy of the features of my dear brother, though she thought the expression more severe than the sweet and mild original.
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 21
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 188
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 346
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 287
Marriage of Princess Charlotte to Leopold I.Income Tax abolished.Unsuccessful Spa Fields Riot led by the ultra-radical Arthur Thistlewood which aimed to attack the Tower of London and the Bank of England and set up a ruling 'Committee of Public Safety' following the French model.
Art and science
Jane Austen publishes Emma.Leeds and Liverpool Canal completed.
British Government buys the Elgin Marbles, taken from the Acropolis in Athens by Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, and brought to England between 1803 and 1812. Their acquisition prompts support from Thomas Lawrence and Benjamin Robert Haydon and condemnation from Lord Byron.Slave rebellion fails in Barbados; four hundred slaves are executed.