© National Portrait Gallery, London
by William Hilton, after Joseph Severn Click on the links below to find out more
oil on canvas, (circa 1822)
30 in. x 25 in. (762 mm x 635 mm)
- John Keats (1795-1821), Poet. Sitter in 15 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- William Hilton (1786-1839), History painter. Artist associated with 60 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Joseph Severn (1793-1879), Painter and Civil Servant. Artist associated with 14 portraits, Sitter associated with 3 portraits.
- Cooper, John, Great Britons: The Great Debate, 2002, p. 14
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 92
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 111
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 346
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 288
Lord Castlereagh (the Marquis of Londonderry) commits suicide after a blackmail campaign against him.Tory cabinet joined by liberals George Canning and Robert Peel. Canning is appointed Foreign Secretary.
Art and science
John Nash completes the remodelling of the King's villa, the Brighton Pavilion and begins plans for the new layout of Regent Street and Regent's Park.The Caledonian Canal opens to link eastern to western Scotland.The Sunday Times
David Wilkie exhibits celebrated Chelsea Pensioners
at the Royal Academy to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo. It proves so popular a rail has to be erected to protect it.First major failure of the potato crop in Ireland. A large-scale public works programme is implemented to provide employment.