© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Charles Armitage Brown Click on the links below to find out more
9 in. x 8 1/2 in. (229 mm x 216 mm)
Given by the artist's granddaughter, Mona M. Brown, 1922
- John Keats (1795-1821), Poet. Sitter in 15 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 113
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 95
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 346
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 289
Peterloo Massacre leaves eleven dead and four hundred wounded as crowds, gathered to hear radical Henry Hunt call for reform of the House of Commons, are forcibly dispersed. Six Acts are passed, stiffening the 1795 Treason Act and introducing a tax on the periodical press which was viewed as seditious.
Art and science
Percy Bysshe Shelley writes Ode to the West Wind
during a year of extraordinary creativity in which he also finishes Prometheus Unbound
.Lord Byron publishes his tour-de-force Don Juan
; one man's mock-epic odyssey through a world without fixed principles. First ship with a steam engine crosses the Atlantic in twenty-eight days.
Thomas Jefferson establishes the University of Virginia.Royal Navy anti-slave squadron is set up to patrol the West African coastline.French physician Rene Laennac invents the stethoscope.