17 of 20 portraits on display in Room 24 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Lowes Cato Dickinson
oil on canvas, 1862
35 7/8 in. x 35 7/8 in. (912 mm x 910 mm)
Given by George Augustin Macmillan, 1932
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Charles Kingsley (1819-1875), Novelist, Church of England clergyman and controversialist. Sitter in 46 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Lowes Cato Dickinson (1819-1908), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 39 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Lowes Dickinson, the artist of this portrait, was himself an enthusiastic Christian Socialist and also painted F.D. Maurice and Thomas Hughes who were key members of the movement. This portrait, commissioned by Kingsley's publisher Alexander Macmillan, has a distinctive 'Alhambra' frame with Moresque ornament in the spandrels.
Linked publicationsback to top
- I-Spy National Portrait Gallery, 2010, p. 40
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 354
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 70