1 portrait of Rudyard Kipling
by Sir Philip Burne-Jones, 2nd Bt
oil on canvas, 1899
29 1/2 in. x 24 1/2 in. (749 mm x 622 mm)
Bequeathed by the artist's mother, 1920
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- (Joseph) Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936), Writer and poet. Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Philip Burne-Jones, 2nd Bt (1861-1926), Painter. Artist of 3 portraits, Sitter in 16 portraits.
This portraitback to top
He is shown in this portrait seated at his desk writing. Bequeathed by the artist's mother, Lady Burne-Jones, 1920.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Bayly, Christopher, The Raj: India and the British 1600-1947, 1990 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 19 October 1990 - 17 March 1991), p. 326
- MacCarthy, Fiona, Anarchy & Beauty: William Morris and His Legacy 1860-1960, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 16 October 2014 - 11 January 2015), p. 96
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 355
See this portrait
On display in Room 28 at the National Portrait Gallery