© National Portrait Gallery, London
Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
by Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt Click on the links below to find out more
oil on canvas, circa 1706-1711
18 1/4 in. x 14 in. (464 mm x 356 mm)
Given by the Art Fund, 1945
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Sitter associated with 30 portraits, Artist associated with 1678 portraits.
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1678 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
German-born but Dutch trained, Kneller settled in England in 1676. He became the greatest master of the English baroque portrait and, as court painter to four sovereigns, dominated English art for more than thirty years. This self-portrait shows him wearing across his chest a gold chain from which hangs a medal with a profile head of William III, a gift from the king and queen. The view to the left is of Whitton Hall, Twickenham, built by Kneller between 1709-11.
- NPG D19209: Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (source portrait)
- NPG D19251: Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (source portrait)
- NPG D33091: Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (source portrait)
- NPG D3439: Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (source portrait)
- NPG D30409: Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (source portrait)
The Regency Bill passes in Parliament. John Somers, Baron Somers, and Thomas Wharton, Marquess of Wharton, as prominent supporters of the Protestant succession, are instrumental in formulating legislation which provide for an emergency Council of Sate to convene upon the death of Queen Anne, pending arrival of the Hanoverian successor.
Art and science
Publication of Horae lyricae
, by hymn writer Isaac Watts. A dissenting minister, Watts is recognised as the 'Father of English Hymnody'. Publication of Synopsis Palmariorum Matheseos
, a mathematical guide for beginners by mathematician William Jones. Thomas Twining opens a tea room in London.
Allied forces under Commander-in-chief, John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough, defeat Louis XIV's army at the Battle of Ramillies. The most successful campaign in Marlborough's career, victory at Ramillies and a string of subsequent military successes for the allies establishes their control of the Southern Netherlands.