1 of 11 portraits of Charles Lamb
by Robert Hancock
black, red and brown chalk and pencil, 1798
6 3/4 in. x 5 3/4 in. (171 mm x 146 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 32
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 24
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 79
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 360
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 303
Events of 1798back to top
Current affairsTo meet war costs, William Pitt introduces a Finance Bill which levies income tax for the first time.
Art and scienceWilliam Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge publish Lyrical Ballads; a key publication for the romantic movement in poetry. Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner opens the volume.
Publisher and printseller Rudolph Ackermann establishes his popular 'Repository of the Arts' shop, gallery, library and social centre on the Strand.
InternationalUprising of the United Irishmen: a republican rebellion which attempted to achieve Ireland's total independence by force with the aid of a French invasion. It was only narrowly defeated.
Battle of the Nile. Napoleon's visionary Egyptian campaign offers British first major victory as Nelson destroys the French fleet.