2 of 11 portraits of Charles Lamb
by William Hazlitt
oil on canvas, 1804
30 in. x 24 1/2 in. (762 mm x 622 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- William Hazlitt (1778-1830), Essayist, journalist and critic. Artist of 1 portrait, Sitter in 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This affectionate portrait shows Lamb dressed as Velázquez's Philip IV. It was one of the last portraits Hazlitt painted before dedicating himself to writing.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 58
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 37
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 360
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 303
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 65