1 of 4 portraits of Stringer Lawrence
by Thomas Gainsborough
oil on canvas, feigned oval, circa 1774-1775
29 7/8 in. x 24 5/8 in. (759 mm x 626 mm)
Given by Sir Henry Yule, 1888
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Stringer Lawrence (1697-1775), Known as the 'Father of the Indian army'. Sitter in 4 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), Portrait and landscape painter. Artist associated with 262 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Perhaps painted as late as 1774, when Gainsborough left Bath for London, or in 1775, the year Lawrence died. In any event, it shows him late in life, in his seventies.
More detailed information on this portrait is available in a National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue, John Kerslake's Early Georgian Portraits (1977, out of print).
Linked publicationsback to top
- Bayly, Christopher, The Raj: India and the British 1600-1947, 1990 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 19 October 1990 - 17 March 1991), p. 92
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 164
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 368