Sir Thomas Lawrence
6 of 25 portraits of Sir Thomas Lawrence
Sir Thomas Lawrence
by Scipio Clint, after Samuel Joseph, and Edward Hodges Baily
copper medal, 1830
1 5/8 in. (41 mm) diameter
Given by Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1962
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Sitter in 25 portraits, Artist associated with 684 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 369
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 311
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- 2. Lawrence at work