6 of 28 portraits of T.E. Lawrence
by Augustus Edwin John
chalk, circa 1929
13 1/4 in. x 10 1/4 in. (337 mm x 260 mm)
Given by Eric Henri Kennington, 1937
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Edward ('T.E.') Lawrence (1888-1935), Known as 'Lawrence of Arabia'; soldier and writer. Sitter in 28 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Augustus Edwin John (1878-1961), Painter. Artist associated with 33 portraits, Sitter in 101 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The National Portrait Gallery's third drawing of Lawrence by Augustus John was given by the artist and art editor of Seven Pillars of Wisdom, Eric Kennington in 1937. It probably dates from 1929 sittings associated with John's painting of Lawrence now in the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, but may possibly have been drawn at the same time as NPG 3188. By 1929 Lawrence had left the Tank Corps and was back in the ranks of the RAF.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 369
- Wilson, Jeremy, T.E. Lawrence: Lawrence of Arabia, 1988 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 9 December 1988 - 12 March 1989), p. 213
- Portrait of the Day: Augustus John
23 August, 12:30