Sir Peter Lely
1 portrait on display in Room 6 at the National Portrait Gallery
Sir Peter Lely
by Sir Peter Lely
oil on canvas, circa 1660
42 1/2 in. x 34 1/2 in. (1080 mm x 876 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Sitter in 19 portraits, Artist associated with 842 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 842 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Catharine MacLeod, Van Dyck: The Last Self Portrait, 2014, p. 25
- Cooper, John, Visitor's Guide, 2000, p. 40
- Foskett, Daphne, Samuel Cooper, 1974 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 15 March - 15 June 1974), p. 126
- Ollard, Richard, Character Sketches: Samuel Pepys and His Circle, 2000, p. 55
- Ollard, Richard, Pepys and his Contemporaries, 2015, p. 81
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery: An Illustrated Guide, 2000, p. 66
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery, 1997, p. 66
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 376
Events of 1660back to top
Current affairsThe Convention Parliament and Lords proclaim Charles II king after he issues a declaration from Breda offering an indemnity to those who had committed crimes against the crown during the civil war and Interregnum. Charles lands at Dover from The Hague on 25th May to great pomp and ceremony.
Art and scienceDiarist Samuel Pepys starts his diary on 1st January, writing in shorthand. The diary became a unique social document, opening with a brief summary of his domestic situation and the political background.
Dutch portrait painter, Peter Lely, is appointed principle painter to Charles II.
Official foundation of the Royal Society.
InternationalThe Anglo-Spanish War, begun by Lord Protector, Oliver Cromwell, formally ends after the restoration of the British monarchy and peace is made with Philip IV of Spain.
See this portrait
On display in Room 6 at the National Portrait Gallery
- Lunchtime Lecture: Henry Marten and The Levellers
15 June, 13:15