by William Holman Hunt
oil on canvas, 1862
32 1/4 in. x 25 1/2 in. (819 mm x 648 mm)
Given by the sitter's granddaughter, Miss Susan Lushington, 1912
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- William Holman Hunt (1827-1910), Pre-Raphaelite painter. Artist of 2 portraits, Sitter in 28 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Marsh, Jan, The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2013, p. 100
- Marsh, Jan, Insights: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2005, p. 96
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 277
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 393
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 174
Events of 1862back to top
Current affairsThe Lancashire cotton famine, a depression in the north-west textile industry brought about by the American civil war, reaches its climax. With large numbers of mills closing after Confederate blockades halted cotton supplies, many Lancashire families were in receipt of relief.
Art and scienceLouis Pasteur and Claude Bernard carry out the first pasteurisation tests, the process of heating liquids at 55 degree Celsius or higher for short periods of time, destroying viruses and harmful organisms such as bacteria and yeast. .
Victor Hugo's novel Les Miserables is published, covering the Napoleonic wars. It traces the ex-convict Jean Valjean's character against wider questions of social and political justice, duty and love.
InternationalOtto Eduard Leopold Bismarck becomes Minister-President of Prussia, appointed by Wilhelm I after the liberal Diet refused to authorise funding for a proposed reorganisation of the army. Bismarck, intent on maintaining royal supremacy, engineers the Unification of Germany during his time in office.
John Hanning Speke claims to have found the source of the Nile, proving that the Victoria Nile issued from the north end of lake Victoria, over Ripon Falls.