John Loudon McAdam
1 of 3 portraits of John Loudon McAdam
John Loudon McAdam
by Unknown artist
oil on canvas, circa 1830
35 1/4 in. x 27 1/4 in. (895 mm x 692 mm)
Given by the sitter's descendant, Katharine L. Scott (née Steuart), 1950
Click on the links below to find out more:
This portraitback to top
In the background of this portrait workmen can be seen laying down a road. Beyond them lies Bristol where, from 1816, McAdam first applied his construction technique on an extensive scale.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Cooper, John, A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery, 2009, p. 34
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 153
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 396
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 326
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
See this portrait
On display in Room 19 at the National Portrait Gallery
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July
- Reproducing Fame: Printmakers and the Nineteenth Century Stage
Until 2 July