1 portrait on display in Room 24 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Edward Matthew Ward
oil on panel, 1846
18 in. x 13 7/8 in. (457 mm x 352 mm)
Given by Sir George Scharf, 1880
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Daniel Maclise (1806-1870), History and portrait painter. Sitter associated with 17 portraits, Artist associated with 107 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Edward Matthew Ward (1816-1879), History painter. Artist associated with 10 portraits, Sitter in 16 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cullen, Fintan; Foster, Roy, 'Conquering England': Ireland in Victorian England, 2005 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 9 March - 19 June 2005), p. 67
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 294
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 404
Events of 1846back to top
Current affairsThe Conservative Prime Minister Sir Robert Peel divides his own party by repealing the unpopular Corn Laws, which prohibited the import of cheap grain from overseas, viewed by many as causing the famines in Ireland (which peaked in this year), as well as domestic hardships following a bad harvest. Peel, defeated on a separate issue, resigns. The Whig Earl Russell becomes Prime Minister.
Art and scienceEther is used for the first time as anaesthetic in an operation by the dentist William Morton, while surgeon John Collins Warren removes a tumor on a patient's neck.
Edward Lear, the popular humourist and artist, and author of illustrated nonsense verse (including 'The Owl and the Pussycat'), publishes his Book of Nonsense.
InternationalThe first Anglo-Sikh war ends with the Treaty of Lahore, by which Jammu and Kashmir are ceded to the British. The war had been fought between the Sikh kingdom of the Punjab and the British East India Company, with conflict escalating after internal disorder in the Punjab led the East India Company to increase their military presence on the border.
See this portrait
On display in Room 24 at the National Portrait Gallery