- Extended Catalogue Entry
by George Richmond
24 5/8 in. x 18 5/8 in. (626 mm x 473 mm)
Bequeathed by the sitter's niece, Miss Emily Higginson, 1917
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Harriet Martineau (1802-1876), Social philosopher and writer; sister of James Martineau. Sitter in 8 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Richmond (1809-1896), Portrait painter and draughtsman; son of Thomas Richmond. Artist associated with 325 portraits, Sitter in 14 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 121
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 303
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 415
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Celebrating Charlotte Brontë (22 February 2016 - 14 August 2016)
- Changing the Female Lot: Josephine Butler and Harriet Martineau (26 April 2011 - 10 April 2012)
Events of 1849back to top
Current affairsBenjamin Disraeli becomes Conservative leader in the House of Commons.
Bedford College for Women is founded, following on from the foundation of Queen's College for Women the previous year.
Henry Mayhew, the social researcher and reform advocate, begins publishing his extensive statistical survey into the living conditions of urban communities, London Labour and the London Poor in the Morning Chronicle.
Art and scienceWith the death of his father Johann Strauss the Elder, Johann Baptist Strauss, the Austrian violinist and composer combines his and his father's orchestra, becoming known as 'the Waltz King'. His famous waltzes include The Blue Danube (1867). Dante Gabriel Rossetti paints his sister, the poet Christina, in The Girlhood of Mary Virgin.
InternationalRome is briefly proclaimed a republic after the papal states are overthrown by Italian republicans. Napoleon's dependency on French Catholics leads him however to help restore papal authority. The restoration of Austrian military rule in Italy further darkens hopes of a self-ruling Italian nationhood.
Communist riots are suppressed in Paris.