2 of 8 portraits of Harriet Martineau
by George Richmond
24 5/8 in. x 18 5/8 in. (626 mm x 473 mm)
Bequeathed by the sitter's niece, Miss Emily Higginson, 1917
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Harriet Martineau (1802-1876), Social philosopher and writer; sister of James Martineau. Sitter in 8 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Richmond (1809-1896), Portrait painter and draughtsman; son of Thomas Richmond. Artist associated with 325 portraits, Sitter in 14 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 121
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 303
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 415
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Celebrating Charlotte Brontë (22 February 2016 - 14 August 2016)
- Changing the Female Lot: Josephine Butler and Harriet Martineau (26 April 2011 - 10 April 2012)