Queen Mary I
1 portrait of Queen Mary I
Queen Mary I
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, 1597-1618
22 1/2 in. x 17 3/4 in. (572 mm x 451 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Mary I (1516-1558), Reigned 1553-58; daughter of Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon. Sitter associated with 49 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This portrait of Mary I is based on paintings made during her lifetime by the Flemish artists Hans Eworth (active 1540-74) and Anthonis Mor (1516-75/6). Their compositions were widely reproduced in both paintings and prints. This painting has been executed in a smooth, refined way. The gold jewels have been painted with a pigment called lead-tin yellow. Tree ring dating indicates the wood used for the panel was felled sometime after 1585.
Linked publicationsback to top
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered (12 September 2014 - 1 March 2015)
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early kings and queens (19 July 2011 - 4 December 2011)
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1597back to top
Current affairsPhilip II of Spain launches another armada against England. As in 1588, the fleet is dispersed by a storm, which is celebrated as divine intervention.Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex is made Earl Marshall.Charles Howard, Baron Howard of Effingham is created Earl of Nottingham. King James VI of Scotland (later James I of England) publishes Daemonologie, an attack on witchcraft that incites a fever for witch-hunts.
Art and scienceWilliam Shakespeare writes The Merchant of Venice.The musician John Dowland publishes The First Booke of Songes or Ayres, the most successful music publication of the period.
InternationalPhilip II of Spain opens peace negotiations with Henry IV of France after his army in the Spanish Netherlands fails to defeat the forces of France or the Protestant United Provinces of the northern Netherlands. The Japanese ruler Toyotomi Hideyoshi lunches a second invasion of Korea.
See this portrait
On display in Room 1 at the National Portrait Gallery
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Mary I Cushion
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Queen Mary I greetings card
- Queen Mary I by MasterJohn Postcards