Queen Mary I
1 portrait of Queen Mary I
Queen Mary I
after Jacopo da Trezzo
gilt electrotype of medal, (circa 1555)
2 5/8 in. (67 mm) diameter
Given by Sir George Scharf, 1877
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Mary I (1516-1558), Reigned 1553-58; daughter of Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon. Sitter associated with 49 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This medal was struck after the marriage of Mary I and Philip II of Spain. It shows how rigidly Mary's headdress was held in place, a style popular in the 1550s.
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1555back to top
Current affairsBeginning of Queen Mary I's persecution of Protestants. Bishops Nicholas Ridley and Hugh Latimer are denounced as heretics and burned at the stake in Oxford.Queen Mary suffers a false pregnancy, her husband Philip of Spain leaves England.
Art and scienceRichard Eden publishes The Decades of the Newe Worlde or West India, the first account in English of European exploration in the Americas. The book urges England to establish an empire in union with Spain.
InternationalThe Peace of Augsburg between the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and the members of the German Protestant Schmalkaldic League. The treaty gives Lutheranism official status within the empire through a policy of cuius regio, eius religio (whose the region, his the religion).The Holy Roman Emperor Charles V resigns the government of the Netherlands, Naples, and Milan to his son Philip of Spain, husband of Queen Mary I.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Mary I Cushion
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Queen Mary I greetings card
- Queen Mary I by MasterJohn Postcards