Queen Mary I
Queen Mary I
after Anthonis Mor (Antonio Moro)
oil on panel, 1555
3 3/8 in. x 2 1/2 in. (86 mm x 64 mm)
Given by Edward Peter Jones, 1960
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Mary I (1516-1558), Reigned 1553-58; daughter of Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon. Sitter associated with 49 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Anthonis Mor (Antonio Moro) (1516-1575 or 1576), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 17 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This pair of portraits of Mary and Philip are dated 1555 and may have been produced to celebrate their union. It is likely that these images were made in multiple versions, possibly as gifts for courtiers both in England and abroad. Soon after their marriage Mary was thought to be pregnant but by June 1555 this proved untrue, and Philip left England only a few months later.
The likeness of Mary derives from a portrait made by Antonis Mor in 1554. Mor was one of the most accomplished portrait painters in Europe and his painting celebrated Mary as a Habsburg consort as much as an English queen.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Bolland, Charlotte; Cooper, Tarnya, The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12th September 2014 to 1st March 2015), p. 118
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 416
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 210
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered (12 September 2014 - 1 March 2015)
Related shop items
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Mary I Cushion
- Mary I Bookmark
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Queen Mary I greetings card
- Kings and Queens of England Mug
- Famous Faces Playing Cards
- Queen Mary I by MasterJohn Postcards