Queen Mary I
Queen Mary I
after Anthonis Mor (Antonio Moro)
oil on panel, 1555
3 3/8 in. x 2 1/2 in. (86 mm x 64 mm)
Given by Edward Peter Jones, 1960
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Mary I (1516-1558), Reigned 1553-8; daughter of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon. Sitter associated with 49 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Anthonis Mor (Antonio Moro) (1516-1575 or 1576), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 17 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Mary married Philip II of Spain in 1554 against the wishes of Parliament. He was the son of the Emperor Charles V and a deeply religious man. These small portraits may have been produced the year after the marriage to commemorate the couple's union. They derive from existing portrait types.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Bolland, Charlotte; Cooper, Tarnya, The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12th September 2014 to 1st March 2015), p. 118
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 416
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 210
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered (12 September 2014 - 1 March 2015)
Exhibitions and displays
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
Until 1 March 2015
See this portrait
On display in Room 2: Miniatures Case at the National Portrait Gallery