© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Augustin Edouart Click on the links below to find out more
cut black paper with wash, 1827
8 3/4 in. x 11 in. (222 mm x 279 mm)
- Hannah More (1745-1833), Religious writer. Sitter in 11 portraits.
This silhouette shows More sitting at a table holding some papers with her inkstand and quill before her.
- Foister, Susan, Cardinal Newman 1801-90, 1990 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 2 March - 20 May 1990), p. 20
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 347
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 440
- Uglow, Jenny, Character Sketches: Dr Johnson, His Club and Other Friends, 1998, p. 59
Lord Liverpool suffers a stroke and is forced to resign as Prime Minister. George Canning succeeds him only to die after four months in office.
Art and science
University College London, the first metropolitan university in England, is founded specifically to educate dissenters excluded from Oxford and Cambridge. Whig politician Henry Brougham, writer Thomas Campbell and financier and philanthropist Isaac Goldsmid are its principal patrons.
Britain, France and Russia sign a treaty in London agreeing to intervene in the Greek War of Independence. Allied troops under General Edward Codrington subsequently destroy Turkish and Egyptian fleets at the Battle of Navarino.Western Australia is explored for the first time by Captain Stirling.