© National Portrait Gallery, London
Sir Charles James Napier
attributed to Smart Click on the links below to find out more
oil on canvas
13 7/8 in. x 11 3/8 in. (353 mm x 289 mm)
- Smart. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Bayly, Christopher, The Raj: India and the British 1600-1947, 1990 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 19 October 1990 - 17 March 1991), p. 183
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 333
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 238
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 452
Notorious highwayman James MacLaine is apprehended and hanged at Tyburn, having passed in society as a wealthy gentleman for two years.Scottish landlords start evicting tenants in the Highland Clearances. Westminster Bridge is opened, the only fixed crossing of the River Thames between London Bridge and Putney.Iron Act is passed restricting the manufacture of iron products in the American colonies.
Art and science
Electrician and experimental philosopher John Canton reads a paper before the Royal Society on a method of making artificial magnets. Writer Samuel Johnson begins publishing his periodical The Rambler
. Artist Joshua Reynolds travels to Italy, where he remains until 1752. Establishment of the Jockey Club; a gentleman's club which took over the regulation of British horse racing.
Composer Johann Sebastian Bach dies in Leipzig. He completes his Mass in B Minor, worked on over many years, shortly before his death.