4 of 85 portraits of Horatio Nelson
by Luigi Acquarone, after Leonardo Guzzardi
oil on canvas, 1888 (1799)
33 1/4 in. x 20 in. (845 mm x 508 mm)
Given by Abdul Hamid II, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, 1888
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Horatio Nelson, Viscount Nelson (1758-1805), Vice-Admiral and victor of Trafalgar. Sitter in 85 portraits.
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
In this portrait Nelson celebrates his triumph at the Battle of the Nile (1798). The image is unusual as it frankly depicts the toll of warfare. His face is drawn and emaciated while his cocked hat is angled to avoid contact with the wound over his right eye. The original 1799 portrait, on which this later copy was based, was commissioned either by the connoisseur Sir William Hamilton or by Nelson himself. Several contemporary copies were made, including one for Grand Sultan Selim III of Constantinople who sent Nelson many magnificent gifts after his victory, signalling his growing international reputation.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 455
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 360
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1799back to top
Current affairsThe Prince of Wales is reconciled with his secret wife Maria Fitzherbert.Corresponding Societies Act is passed prohibiting certain named political groups including the radical London Corresponding Society and the United Irishmen.
Art and scienceThe Swiss artist Henry Fuseli, resident in England since 1778, is appointed Professor of Painting at the Royal Academy.The conservative educator Hannah More publishes her Strictures on Female Education which criticised demands for women's rights while proposing an active role for them within religious and moral movements.
InternationalSuccessful defence of Acre in the Levant is led by William Sidney Smith.British expedition to Holland, led by General Ralph Abercromby, ends in evacuation after allies defeated at Battle of Bergen-op-Zoom. Fall of the ruling Directory in France. Napoleon seizes power.The Rosetta Stone is discovered in Egypt.
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- My Favourite Portrait by Alan Titchmarsh
- Viscount Nelson
- WebQuest: Pepys, Nelson, Seacole
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Plaster figure makers: a short history
- Portrait of the Day: Horatio Nelson
23 October, 12:30