3 of 6 portraits of Ben Nicholson
by Humphrey Spender
bromide print, circa 1935
8 in. x 6 3/8 in. (203 mm x 162 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Ben Nicholson (1894-1982), Artist; son of Sir William Nicholson. Sitter in 6 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Humphrey Spender (1910-2005), Photographer, artist and designer. Artist of 15 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Spender accepted the commission to photograph Nicholson for Harper's Bazaar as it meant both meeting him, and visiting the Mall Studios in Hampstead. Spender was determined to attempt 'something different' and arrived with lights and tripods. 'Nicholson was quite a vain man and appreciated the trouble being taken' recalled Spender.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Rogers, Malcolm, Camera Portraits, 1989 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October 1989 - 21 January 1990), p. 217
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 459
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- In Close Up: Humphrey Spender (14 September 2002 - 14 March 2003)