by Sir George Scharf
pencil, 28 December 1857
5 1/2 in. x 3 in. (140 mm x 76 mm)
Bequeathed by Sir George Scharf, 1895
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Florence Nightingale (1820-1910), Reformer of hospital nursing and of the Army Medical Services. Sitter associated with 35 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir George Scharf (1820-1895), Artist and art historian; first Director of the National Portrait Gallery. Artist associated with 80 portraits, Sitter in 79 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Rogers, Malcolm, Camera Portraits, 1989 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October 1989 - 21 January 1990), p. 13
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 460
Exhibitions and displays
- Thomas Carlyle: Historian of Heroes
Until 30 March