1 of 23 portraits of James Northcote
by James Northcote
oil on canvas, 1784
29 in. x 24 in. (737 mm x 610 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- James Northcote (1746-1831), Painter; pupil and biographer of Sir Joshua Reynolds. Sitter associated with 23 portraits, Artist associated with 103 portraits.
Artistback to top
- James Northcote (1746-1831), Painter; pupil and biographer of Sir Joshua Reynolds. Artist associated with 103 portraits, Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Northcote painted many self-portraits. Here, he depicts himself with one hand holding a palette and brushes. The other hand is raised to his forehead as if seeking inspiration, the sort of gesture sometimes found in portraiture of the Romantic period. This portrait was painted in London at a time when he was trying his hand at genre and history painting.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 23
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 18
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 254
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 463
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 370