2 of 213 portraits of Daniel O'Connell
by Sir George Hayter
oil on millboard, 1834
14 in. x 12 in. (356 mm x 305 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), Irish politician; MP for Dublin City and Cork County. Sitter associated with 213 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir George Hayter (1792-1871), Portrait and history painter; son of Charles Hayter. Artist associated with 198 portraits, Sitter associated with 16 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In the finished group portrait, The House of Commons, 1883, O'Connell is shown among the Radicals on the opposition front bench, leaning forward as in the sketch but with hat in hand.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cullen, Fintan, The Irish Face: Redefining the Irish Portrait, 2004, p. 189
- Cullen, Fintan; Foster, Roy, 'Conquering England': Ireland in Victorian England, 2005 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 9 March - 19 June 2005), p. 41
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 135
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 346
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 466