1 of 8 portraits of Amelia Opie
by John Opie
oil on canvas, 1798
29 1/4 in. x 24 1/2 in. (743 mm x 622 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Amelia Opie (1769-1853), Novelist and poet; second wife of John Opie. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- John Opie (1761-1807), Portrait and history painter. Artist associated with 148 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This portrait dates to the time of Amelia's marriage to the painter John Opie. After his death in 1807, Amelia returned to Norwich where, in 1825, she became a Quaker and dedicated herself to the campaign for improving workhouses, prisons and hospitals.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 54
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 47
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 469
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 376