by John Opie
oil on canvas, 1785
29 1/4 in. x 24 1/2 in. (743 mm x 622 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- John Opie (1761-1807), Portrait and history painter. Sitter in 12 portraits, Artist associated with 146 portraits.
Artistback to top
- John Opie (1761-1807), Portrait and history painter. Artist associated with 146 portraits, Sitter in 12 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Opie painted many self-portraits, mainly to experiment with different styles of painting. This portrait was made at the time Opie was establishing his reputation in London.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 18
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 14
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 469
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 377