1 of 20 portraits of Horace Walpole
by John Giles Eccardt
oil on canvas, 1754
15 1/2 in. x 12 1/2 in. (394 mm x 318 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Horatio ('Horace') Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford (1717-1797), Writer and collector. Sitter associated with 20 portraits.
Artistback to top
- John Giles Eccardt (active 1740-died 1779), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This small-scale portrait was commissioned by Walpole with portraits of Richard Bentley and Thomas Gray and three others for the Blue Bedroom at Strawberry Hill (the house can be seen in the background). Walpole also owned the painted plaster bust of the actor, Colley Cibber.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 367
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 470
Placesback to top
- Place portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's home, Strawberry Hill House, Twickenham, London)