5 of 20 portraits of Horace Walpole
by Sir Thomas Lawrence
10 1/8 in. x 7 3/4 in. (257 mm x 197 mm)
Given by Mrs Maud C. Holland, 1948
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Horatio ('Horace') Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford (1717-1797), Writer and collector. Sitter associated with 20 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 682 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 370
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 76
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 470