© National Portrait Gallery, London
Henrietta Anne, Duchess of Orleans
copy attributed to Jean Petitot, possibly after Pierre Mignard Click on the links below to find out more
enamel on gold, 17th century?
3/4 in. x 5/8 in. (19 mm x 16 mm)
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1911
- Pierre Mignard (1612-1695), Painter and portraitist. Artist associated with 7 portraits.
- Jean Petitot (1607-1691). Artist associated with 6 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 163
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 470
- Walker, Richard, Miniatures: 300 Years of the English Miniature, 1998, p. 9
Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex is put on trial for failing to put an end to the rebellion in Ireland, attempting to negotiate a truce with the rebel leader Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, and deserting his post. Charles Blount, Lord Mountjoy, replaces Essex as Lord Deputy of Ireland.The East India Company receives its Royal Charter by Queen Elizabeth I.Birth of Prince Charles in Scotland (later King Charles I).
Art and science
William Shakespeare writes Hamlet
.The scientist William Gilbert writes De magnete
('on the magnet'), which pioneers research into the properties of the lodestone (magnetic iron ore) and introduces the terms 'electricity' and 'magnetic pole'. The miniature painter Nicholas Hilliard works on his painting treatise The Art of Limning
at this time.
Henry IV of France marries Marie de Medici from the powerful ruling family of Florence, Italy. The Italian astronomer, philosopher and mathematician Giordano Bruno is sentenced to death by the Roman Inquisition and burned at the stake for heresy.Following the death of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Tokugawa Ieyasu seizes control of Japan at the Battle of Sekigahara.