© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Sylvia Pankhurst Click on the links below to find out more
chalk, circa 1907-1910
26 1/8 in. x 20 1/8 in. (663 mm x 511 mm)
Given by S.E. Boucher, 1974
- Sylvia Pankhurst (1882-1960), Militant suffragette; daughter of Emmeline Pankhurst. Sitter in 19 portraits, Artist of 3 portraits.
- Sylvia Pankhurst (1882-1960), Militant suffragette; daughter of Emmeline Pankhurst. Artist of 3 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
- MacCarthy, Fiona, Anarchy & Beauty: William Morris and His Legacy 1860-1960, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 16 October 2014 - 11 January 2015), p. 52
- Rideal, Liz, Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by Women Artists, 2001 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12 September 2001 to 20 January 2002), p. 55
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 479
Robert Baden Powell, a former lieutenant-general in the British Army, forms the Boy Scout Movement after holding a camp on Brownsea Island for a group of twenty-two boys of mixed social background. Baden Powell was inspired after finding that his 1903 military training manual Aids to Scouting
had become a bestseller, and was being used by teachers and youth workers. The Scout movement has become a Worldwide phenomenon, with over 38 million members in 216 countries.
Art and science
The poet, author and critic Edmund Gosse publishes his autobiography Father and Son
, an account of his relationship with his devout Christian father, the zoologist Phillip Gosse. Edmund's detailing of his loss of faith is a reflection on the Victorian age itself. Anna Pavlova first dances The Dying Swan
, choreographed by Michel Fokine to music by Camille Saint-Saens, at a charity performance.
America is gripped by a financial crisis as a collapse of trust companies causes panic amongst shareholders. Aged twenty, the Swiss architect Le Corbusier, one of the most influential figures in twentieth-century architecture, designs his first house at La Chaux-de-Fonds in Switzerland.