© National Portrait Gallery, London
George Payne; Henry John Rous
by G. Thompson Click on the links below to find out more
oil on millboard
14 3/4 in. x 11 1/2 in. (375 mm x 292 mm)
- George Payne (1803-1878), Patron of the turf. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Henry John Rous (1795-1877), Admiral and sportsman. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 365
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 172
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 484
Cardinal Wiseman, a Catholic priest who had exerted a strong influence on the Oxford movement, is made a Cardinal and leader of the Catholic church in England, thus restoring Roman Catholic hierarchy in England.
Art and science
Death of poet laureate William Wordsworth; his great autobiographical poem The Prelude
is published posthumously, famously charting the growth of the poet's mind.Tennyson's In Memoriam
is also published. A poignant record of his grief over the death of his friend Arthur Hallam, the poem also movingly questions the strength of faith in an increasingly scientific age.
Up to 50,000 pioneers travel west in wagons on the Oregon trail in the United States, one of the main overland migration routes across the continent. Spanning over half the continent, the trail led 2,170 miles through territories and land which would later become six US states, including Kansas, Wyoming and Oregon, helping the US to implement its goal of Manifest Destiny - building a nation spanning the North American continent.