© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Sir Henry Raeburn Click on the links below to find out more
oil on canvas, circa 1811
49 3/4 in. x 39 1/2 in. (1264 mm x 1003 mm)
- John Playfair (1748-1819), Mathematician and geologist. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Sir Henry Raeburn (1756-1823), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 74 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Jordanova, Ludmilla, Defining Features: Scientific and Medical Portraits 1660-2000, 2000 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 14 April to 17 September 2000), p. 103
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 497
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 397
George III's insanity is finally publicly admitted amidst arguments in Parliament over the credibility of his doctors. George, Prince of Wales is appointed Regent despite doubts over his capacity to rule effectively. This prompts the Prince's final split with the Catholic Mrs Fitzherbert, his clandestine wife
Art and science
John Loudon McAdam presents his new road surfacing technique to Parliament.Jane Austen publishes Sense and Sensibility
.Sculptor Francis Leggatt Chantrey exhibits at the Royal Academy for the first time with a celebrated bust of the radical John Horne Tooke.
Battle of Albuera; British invade French-held Badajoz in Spain under William Carr Beresford and are victorious over Marshal Soult. Java captured.