4 of 44 portraits of Alexander Pope
by Jonathan Richardson
oil on canvas, circa 1737
24 1/8 in. x 18 in. (613 mm x 457 mm)
Given by Alfred Aaron de Pass, 1898
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Jonathan Richardson (1665-1745), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 124 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In a rococo frame of unusual design, perhaps originally intended for a pastel. More detailed information on this portrait is available in a National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue, John Kerslake's Early Georgian Portraits (1977, out of print).
Linked publicationsback to top
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 214
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery: An Illustrated Guide, 2000, p. 90
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery, 1997, p. 90
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 500
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 64
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 3
Events of 1737back to top
Current affairsDeath of Queen Caroline, wife of George II, on 20 November.Frederick, Prince of Wales quarrels with his father. The king expels him from court for criticising the government.Theatrical Licensing Act introduces censorship, requiring plays to be submitted to the Lord Chancellor for approval and reducing the number of theatres.
Art and scienceFrench portrait-painter Jean-Baptiste Van Loo arrives in England where he soon attracts prominent sitters such as Robert Walpole, Colley Cibber and William Murray, 1st Earl of Mansfield. Venus passes in front of Mercury and is witnessed by amateur astronomer John Bevis at the Royal Greenwich Observatory. It remains the only such planetary occlusion that has been directly observed.
InternationalColonist William Byrd founds Richmond, Virginia. French Académie Royale de Peintre et de Sculpture begins its programme of public exhibitions.Florence loses her independence when the last Medici Grand Duke of Tuscany dies.
See this portrait
On display in Room 10 at the National Portrait Gallery