Sir John Popham
2 of 2 portraits of Sir John Popham
Sir John Popham
copy by George Perfect Harding, after Unknown artist
9 in. x 7 in. (229 mm x 178 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir John Popham (1531?-1607), Lord Chief Justice and Speaker of the House of Commons. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 501
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 253
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1825back to top
Current affairsStrikes, contract breaking and worker intimidation prompt the passing of a new Anti-Trade Union Combination Act to the dismay of economist John McCulloch, MP Joseph Hume and radical Francis Place who had worked for the repeal of the previous year.
Catholic Relief Bill is rejected by the House of Lords.
Art and scienceConstruction of Thames Tunnel begins under the direction of Marc Isambard Brunel.
Stockton to Darlington Railway, the world's first passenger system, opens.
William Hazlitt publishes The Spirit of the Age; twenty-five pen-portraits of his contemporaries in the world of literature, philosophy and politics.
InternationalBeethoven's Ninth Symphony premieres in London.
John Quincy Adams is elected President of the United States.
Exhibitions and displays
- Life, Death and Memory
Until 4 February 2018
- Portrait of the Day: Angela Georgina Burdett
26 October, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
28 October, 12:30