© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Thomas Hudson, after Jonathan Richardson Click on the links below to find out more
oil on canvas, (circa 1718)
40 1/4 in. x 34 3/8 in. (1022 mm x 872 mm)
Transferred from British Museum, 1879
- Matthew Prior (1664-1721), Poet, Ambassador to France and politician; MP for East Grinstead and Chief Secretary for Ireland. Sitter associated with 26 portraits.
- Thomas Hudson (1701-1779), Portrait painter and art collector. Artist associated with 182 portraits.
- Jonathan Richardson (1665-1745), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 121 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Painted for Lord Harley, one of Prior's main patrons, Richardson's animated composition shows the poet at the point of inspiration. This copy, by Richardson's pupil Thomas Hudson, is one of many painted for Prior's admirers.
- NPG 91: Matthew Prior (based on same portrait)
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 228
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 104
- Ribeiro, Aileen; Blackman, Cally, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 120
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 506
Charles Spencer, 3rd Earl of Sunderland becomes first Lord of the Treasury, the most influential political post in Britain at this time. Transportation Act creates the punishment of penal transportation as an alternative to the death penalty.Marrow Controversy; an ecclesiastical dispute breaks out in Scotland over the doctrine of atonement.
Art and science
Proper motion of the stars is discovered by Astronomer Royal Edmond Halley.Inventor James Puckle patents an early form of machine gun known as the Puckle Gun.
Charles XII of Sweden dies in mysterious circumstances and is succeeded by his sister Ulrika Eleonora. Quadruple Alliance formed as the Holy Roman Empire joins the Triple Alliance to prevent the Spanish changing the terms of the Treaty of Utrecht. War of the Quadruple Alliance begins against Spain until 1720. George Byng, 1st Viscount Torrington is made Admiral of the Fleet and thwarts Spanish attempts to take Sicily at the Battle of Cape Passaro.