2 of 32 portraits on display in Room 20 at the National Portrait Gallery
by George Romney
oil on canvas, 1785-1788
48 3/4 in. x 38 3/4 in. (1238 mm x 984 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Robert Raikes (1735-1811), Journalist and promoter of Sunday Schools. Sitter in 6 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Romney (1734-1802), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 159 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Raikes's ideas gained widespread support, especially from evangelical writers such as Sarah Trimmer and Hannah More who encouraged the foundation of schools in rural and industrial communities. By 1831 more than one and a half million children were registered in Sunday Schools.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 390
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 510
See this portrait
On display in Room 20 at the National Portrait Gallery
Exhibitions and displays
- Simon Schama’s Face of Britain
Until 4 January 2016