2 of 33 portraits on display in Room 12 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Allan Ramsay
oil on canvas, circa 1737-1739
24 in. x 18 1/4 in. (610 mm x 464 mm) oval
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Allan Ramsay (1713-1784), Portrait painter. Sitter in 3 portraits, Artist associated with 118 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Allan Ramsay (1713-1784), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 118 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Probably painted in Italy where Ramsey completed his training, this very early self-portrait shows his indebtedness to the vigour of the Italian baroque. More detailed information on this portrait is available in a National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue, John Kerslake's Early Georgian Portraits (1977, out of print).
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 226
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 56
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 511
- Smart, Alastair, Allan Ramsay, 1713-1784, 1992 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from Catalogue of exhibition held at the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh, 1 Aug. - 27 Sept. 1992; and the National Portrait Gallery, London, from 16 Oct. 1992 - 17 Jan. 1993.), p. 47