by Patrick Heron
oil on canvas, 1950
30 in. x 25 in. (762 mm x 635 mm)
Given by Dame Barbara Hepworth and Henry Moore, 1968
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Herbert Read (1893-1968), Critic, poet and writer on art. Sitter in 17 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Patrick Heron (1920-1999), Painter and art critic. Artist of 5 portraits, Sitter in 12 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Heron described the Read 'waving his beautifully elegant poet's hand ever so gently in the air in front of him', the head wobbling from side to side as he talked, 'to give added emphasis'. He saw the hyacinth blues and greens as expressive of the quality of innocence in the sitter.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Crane, David; Judd, Alan, First World War Poets, 2014, p. 47
- Judd, Alan; Crane, David, Character Sketches: First World War Poets, 1997, p. 28
- MacCarthy, Fiona, Anarchy & Beauty: William Morris and His Legacy 1860-1960, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 16 October 2014 - 11 January 2015), p. 126
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 514