© National Portrait Gallery, London
John Hamilton Reynolds
by Joseph Severn Click on the links below to find out more
watercolour on ivory, 1818
3 7/8 in. x 2 7/8 in. (99 mm x 73 mm)
Bequeathed by Penelope Sichel, 1975
- Joseph Severn (1793-1879), Painter and Civil Servant. Artist associated with 14 portraits, Sitter associated with 3 portraits.
This miniature was painted by Reynolds's friend Joseph Severn who is best known for his many portraits of Keats, before and after his untimely death.
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 518
- Walker, Richard, Miniatures: 300 Years of the English Miniature, 1998, p. 97
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 412
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 93
Death of Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, George III's Queen since 1761.Official enquiry initiated into Queen Caroline's conduct abroad.
Art and science
Mary Shelley anonymously publishes her masterpiece Frankenstein; or, the Modern Prometheus
which reflects growing concern about the role of morality in science.Lord Byron completes his romance Childe Harolde's Pilgrimage
, whose gloomy, dissolute hero was probably based on the writer himself.
Stamford Raffles acquires authorisation to construct a fort at Singapore marking the beginning of its development as a centre of East-West trade.Congress of European Alliance at Aix-La-Chapelle. Lord Castlereagh plays a central role in establishing a pan-Europe peace settlement to bring a chastened France back into the world of political respectability.