Sir Joshua Reynolds
1 of 1413 portraits by Sir Joshua Reynolds
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Sir Joshua Reynolds
by Sir Joshua Reynolds
oil on canvas, circa 1747-1749
25 in. x 29 1/4 in. (635 mm x 743 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Sitter associated with 38 portraits, Artist associated with 1413 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Reynolds painted numerous self-portraits during his long career. This early example was probably painted just before Reynolds left for his study trip to Italy; at one time vertical in format it was reduced at top and bottom during the nineteenth century.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- National Portrait Gallery: 100 Portraits, p. 43
- Audio Guide
- Bond; Anthony; Woodall, Joanna, Self Portrait: Renaissance to Contemporary, 2005 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October - 29 January 2006), p. 60
- Cooper, John, A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery, 2009, p. 30
- Cooper, John, Visitor's Guide, 2000, p. 57
- Gibson, Robin, Treasures from the National Portrait Gallery, 1996, p. 57
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 393
- John Cooper, National Portrait Gallery Visitor's Guide, 2006, p. 57
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 147
- Rideal, Liz, Insights: Self-portraits, 2005, p. 9
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery: An Illustrated Guide, 2000, p. 94
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery, 1997, p. 94
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 518
- Uglow, Jenny, Character Sketches: Dr Johnson, His Club and Other Friends, 1998, p. 30
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 103
- Wendorf, Richard, Sir Joshua Reynolds: The Portrait in Society, 1996, p. 144
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Self Portrait: Renaissance to Contemporary (20 October 2005 - 29 January 2006)
Events of 1747back to top
Current affairsJacobite Simon Fraser, 11th Baron Lovat is found guilty of high treason and beheaded by axe at the Tower of London; the last man to be executed in this way in Britain.
Abolition of Hereditable Jurisdictions Act breaks the power of the Scottish clans.
Liverpool overtakes Bristol as Britain's busiest slave trading port.
Art and scienceActor David Garrick becomes co-manager of Drury Lane Theatre, London.
Physician James Lind undertakes one of the first controlled medical experiments on the effect of citrus fruit as a cure for scurvy.
Hannah Glasse publishes The Art of Cookery, Made Plain and Easy; eighteenth-century England's most popular cookbook.